After many years of being repurposed, the Four Domes Pavilion – the renowned Hans Poelzig’s famous work – has been now restored to its original architectural forms as well as its exhibition and museum function and soon reopens to the public. It will house the Museum of Contemporary Art, branch of the National Museum in Wrocław. The striking white interiors of the Modern Movement’s masterpiece will accommodate works by the best Polish contemporary artists.
The National Museum in Wrocław has one of the nation’s best and largest collections of Polish contemporary art. It was started in the 1960s and today numbers some 20 thousand artworks representing a wide range of media: paintings, sculptures, installations, environments, prints, photographs, documentations of performances, and multimedia projects.
The core of the collection comprises works by such modern masters as Magdalena Abakanowicz, Paweł Althamer, Mirosław Bałka, Stanisław Fijałkowski, Władysław Hasior, Tadeusz Kantor, Katarzyna Kozyra, Jan Lebenstein, Jerzy Nowosielski, Alina Szapocznikow. Recently it has been augmented with works by outstanding artists of the younger generation, among them Piotr Janas and Jakub Julian Ziółkowski. The collection also includes pieces representative of the city’s art community, especially the distinguished painters and professors of the local Academy of Fine Arts: Eugeniusz Geppert, Józef Hałas, Alfons Mazurkiewicz, Konrad Jarodzki.
The permanent exhibition begins with the avant-garde artists of the interwar period (1918-1939) whose work was seminal in the emergence of modern art in Poland: Stanisław Ignacy Witkiewicz, Leon Chwistek and Władysław Strzemiński.